Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Day In The Life Of Small Town

Was not up before sunrise but shortly after, woke up to the nuzzle of a nose in my face and whining.  Sophie is my alarm clock that is broken and goes off periodically through the night and you can't shut it up till you walk across the house and let her out the door.  Not complaining I love her more then any pet I have ever had.  It is a raining Sunday morning in Small Town that means good cooking is going on.  We tried a new recipe this morning; I thought I would share.  






Buttermilk Biscuits (Unsoaked Version)
Ingredients

1 c. flour
3 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tbl spoon dark brown sugar
1/4 cup cold butter
1 cup buttermilk, soured raw milk, or whey (You may need slightly more or less, depending on the flour) I did not have buttermilk so I used sour cream to make it the consistency of buttermilk.  Did not use the full amount, but it was not wasted Magness devoured it quickly.
Instructions

Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sucanat into large bowl
Cut in the cold butter until you have pea-sized butter chunks (Or, try grating frozen butter with a cheese grater and adding the shreds to the flour)
Add just enough buttermilk (or whey or soured milk) to make a heavy, wet dough
"Knead" the dough lightly 6-8 times until it sticks together
Pat dough out on a well-floured surface to approximately one inch thick
Use a floured glass or mason jar ring to cut into circles
Place on an ungreased baking stone or cookie sheet
I like to leave the edges slightly touching to make a softer biscuit--but for crunchier biscuits, spread them out a bit more
Bake in preheated 425 degree oven approximately 10 minutes, and cool on a wire rack



No comments:

Post a Comment